PARTISAN HOSPITAL JELENDOL
The construction of Jelendol hospital began in spring 1943
in the valley of Adjunktova Dolina, at a location where the
wounded from the first partisan hospital in Rog, the nearby
Daleč Hrib, survived the great Italian offensive of the summer
First, two shelters that were already there were repaired and
a dormitory was added for the wounded, as well as a kitchen
and dormitory for personnel. As construction material, timber
from the Italian Emona company was used, but because of shortage
of nails, wooden wedges were used. The gaps between logs were
sealed with moss and the best available insulation material
was paper. Stoves for heating were made of petrol barrels or
they were constructed from bricks or taken from the deserted
Götscher hosues. Wooden boards were procured later in the valley.
Roofs were covered with spruce branches, leaves and moss. In
this way, the hospital was invisible even from a short distance.
Lamps were fuelled with animal fat and carbide or else candles
were used. The water supply was secured with a hole drilled
in the bottom of a nearby hollow which accumulated water from
the surrounding slopes. Access to the hospital was possible
only by walking on the trunks of felled trees, whereas in winter,
access was allowed only in the most urgent circumstances since
even a single footprint in the snow could betray the "snowed-in"
hospital. Stocked with food supplies, Jelendol hospital lay
quietly under a layer of snow from November 1943 and admitted
new wounded in mid-April 1944.
The oldest building in the complex is the dormitory for the
wounded. It measures 10 x 6.5 metres and is constructed from
rough-hewn logs. Later, it was expanded with two annexes. The
building has no windows; daylight penetrated into the interior
only through loopholes in the roof. The ground was covered with
wooden boards. The bunk beds were raised off the floor and arranged
along the long walls of the building.
Directly next to it, a kitchen with a wood shack was built
out of wooden boards. The smoke from the kitchen was conducted
along a pipe to a smokehouse, a small shack where the smoke
cooled down and disappeared into the forest through narrow openings
in the walls.
The surgery was erected in autumn 1944. It is made of wooden
boards. It has a large corner window with an additional opening
in the roof above the window to secure enough light for operations.
Above the surgery, the personnel dormitory stands. The personnel
usually consisted of a manager who was also a doctor, a political
commissar, superintendent, nurses, carriers of the wounded,
a cook, a barber, a laundry woman, a carpenter and a tailor.
A staff of about eighteen performed almost all of the necessary
The administration building of the Slovene Central War Partisan
Hospital was built of rough logs. Every fortnight until mid
November 1943, it served as a meeting place for doctors and
political commissars of almost all Rog stations.
Jelendol hospital received the first wounded on 6 May 1943and
operated until the end of the war. During this time it treated
the total of 330 wounded. Twenty-one patients died and are buried
in the nearby graveyard.